BHS School News June 3, 2019
Posted on June 3rd, 2019
Breton High School News
From Mrs. Carson and Mrs. Holmgren
Happening at BHS
June 3, 2019
June 16 - 2:00 pm - Father’s Day Theatre. $10/ticket and includes hot beef on a bun and a beverage. The charge is a fundraiser for the drama club.
Youth Drop-In Centre: At Breton Faith Covenant Church for Grade 7-12 on Fridays.
The dates are: June 14 and June 28.
Football: Junior Cougars practice after school Mondays and Wednesdays 3:30-5pm. Senior Cougars everyday 7-8am. The Junior Cougars have another jamboree on Thursday in Rimbey. The Senior Cougars June 1st game was cancelled because of the air quality.
Travel Club: In spring of 2020, students and parents can travel to London, Paris, Florence, Rome and the Sorrento region over the course of 12 days. If you have any questions, contact Rhonda Monts at the school.
Garden: The garden has exploded into a sea of yellow. Some are daffodils, many are dandelions! The bees are finished with the dandelions now. The big bumblebees are enjoying the Lamium groundcover the most and the honeybees seem to prefer the honey berry blossoms. We had a grade 8 crew in last week and they cut the grass, raked, and picked dandelion flowers for cookies. Other students have picked and pulled dandelions and one carrot bed has been seeded. Our garden gate was getting very difficult to open and close and the maintenance folks are repairing it for us. Some of our herbs reseeded so we have dill and cilantro growing well this spring. We will plant some more herbs later in the season, as well as tomatoes, and yes, we are going to try watermelon again. We have lots of yellow raspberry plants that need to find a new home. If anyone would like some, we would be happy to give you some. These berries are very sweet. We tried a new dandelion cookie recipe using peanut butter and they were quite tasty. We thought we share the original and the new recipe in case folks want to “try this at home”.
The Breton High School Circle of Life Community Memorial Garden continues to be a place to Grow, Learn, Remember, Heal and Enjoy. Come visit it! The gate to the space is unlocked but we do ask that it be closed when you leave the space, because we are reluctant to share with Bambi.
Dandelion Cookies – Original Recipe
• 1⁄2 c. vegetable oil
• 1⁄2 c. honey
• 2 eggs
• 1 t. vanilla extract
• 1 c. flour
• 1 t. each baking soda and cinnamon
• 1 c. dry oatmeal
• 1⁄2 cup dandelion flowers
1) Preheat the oven to 375.
2) Mix the oil and honey and then beat in the 2 eggs and vanilla.
3) Remove the yellow flower parts from the green parts (compost the green parts).
Stir in the flour, oatmeal, and dandelion flowers.
4) Drop the batter by tablespoonfuls onto an oiled cookie sheet.
5) Bake for 10-15 minutes.
6) Cool and enjoy!
Always make sure the dandelions have grown in a chemical free environment.
Dandelion Cookies – Peanut Butter Version
½ c. butter, softened
½ c. peanut butter
½ c. honey
1 t. vanilla extract
1 t. baking soda
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
½ c. dandelion petals loosely packed
1. Preheat oven to 400 degree. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats
2. Sift together the flours and baking soda. Set aside
3. Cream together the butter, peanut butter, and honey until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract until thoroughly incorporated.
4. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until a soft dough form.
5. Fold in the dandelion petals.
6. Drop by Tablespoons full onto prepared baking sheet.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 13 to 15 minutes or until edges are golden.
8. Cool on wire racks.
June 7th-No school